Return to Home page.
What is Reed Square?
Why did the Reed Square Foundation buy Reed Square?
Who is the Memorial for?
Why make Reed Square a memorial garden?
How does the Reed Square Foundation plan to protect the property in perpetuity from development?
Reed Square is located in the St. Johnís Church Old and Historic District in Richmond, Virginia. Reed Square is a fenced green space at 110 North 26th Street between East Grace and East Franklin Streets. The Historic Richmond Foundation (HRF) acquired the property in 1964 and sold it to the Reed Square Foundation in 2004.
The Reed Square Foundation bought Reed Square to protect it from development and to honor Church Hill benefactors. In February 2002, it became clear that the Historic Richmond Foundation no longer wished to own or maintain Reed Square and that its development was a distinct possibility. Reed Square is one of the last undeveloped pieces of property in the immediate area. The founders of the Reed Square Foundation oppose any structural or residential development on the property. It adjoins one of the oldest and most historic homes in the neighborhood, the Turner/Reed House at 2520 East Franklin (built between 1803 and 1810). The street has its original stone paving.
In thinking about alternatives to development and the best use of the property, the Foundation recognized that the neighborhood lacked a memorial to its principal benefactors who championed the cause of historic preservation on Church Hill. Without them this historic neighborhood would not exist. In 2007, the district will celebrate its 50th anniversary. As old residents move away and new residents move in, a sense of what was required to establish this area is fading from public memory. By establishing Reed Square as a garden memorial the Reed Square Foundation hopes to keep alive interest in historic preservation and appreciation for the sacrifices many people made to make the historic district a reality.
The memorial honors these benefactors who played key roles in the success of the St. Johnís Church Old and Historic District:
Mary Ross Scott Reed
Elisabeth Scott Bocock
S. Douglas Fleet
Louise F. Catterall
The Reed Square Foundation will also recognize other Honorees for their dedication and hard work in this Historic District.
Once the Foundation owns Reed Square, it will donate a conservation easement to the Commonwealth of Virginia or other entity. This will prevent commercial or residential development on the property while allowing continued maintenance and improvements to the landscaping.
Return to the top of this page.
Return to Home page.